It's a been a crazy few weeks: vacation ended, school started, there has been carnage, the emergency room has been visited more than once. I have been chasing the ever elusive normal. I thought today was going to be my day and then....
Our sweet new doggy Vince saw his chance at a popsicle yesterday and took it. When he saw me coming to end his pleasure he did what any 70lb labrador would do, he swallowed it whole. Stick and all, he swallowed the whole darn thing. I nearly fainted.
I spent a good part of my evening reading links produced by the google search: "My labrador swallowed a popsicle stick whole". There was a surprising amount of content, apparently large labradors all over this fine country respond the way Vince did to a popsicle slipping out of the hands of babes. It came clear there were about 3 scenarios that were going to play out for me and my new companion:
1. We were going to do some major diet modifications that would eventually result in the production of a "poop-sicle". I wasn't exited about this option, aside from the fact that I didn't see how in the world that was possible. I was ready for the task, I didn't get the chance to ask Vince what he thought, but I went ahead and made a large pot of white rice in preparation.
2. This is the option that kept me awake most of the night. The stick would get stuck somewhere inside and need to be surgically removed. Need I express the reasons why I was not interested in this option?
3. Popsicle stick might reappear via vomit in the first 24 hours.
Voila! I have never been so excited to see dog vomit in all of my days. Dog vomit with a popsicle stick on top, was far better than the proverbial icing on the cake. I nearly cried tears of joy. The boys and I ran around the house dancing and singing in honor of our four legged friend. It was true a celebration.
So that was it. A little dog vomit and a couple loads of laundry. When dogs vomit in my house they always do it in my children's beds - se la vie - better than ruining the carpets, and let's be honest, worse things have happened in their little set of twins.
If anything has happened to me in the last few weeks it is certainly that I am learning to not panic in times of unforeseen stress, emergency.....whatever you wanna call them. A deep breath and little google search is (sometimes) all you need.